[openssl-project] 1.1.1 Release timetable

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at mit.edu
Sun Dec 24 06:09:33 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 06:10:05PM +0000, Matt Caswell wrote:

> When do you realistically expect the final RFC publication to be? Given
> past performance I am not hopeful of seeing it in Q1.

I also am not hopeful of seeing it in Q1; April seems more
realistic to me.

> I would prefer to take our time a little more and see a release that we
> are confident in, rather than one we have rushed out. Even if that means
> the release doesn't go out until a month after TLSv1.3 RFC is published.

I agree -- the IETF does not prohibit itself from making changes to
the document up until it's published as an RFC, and locking
ourselves into a release cadence that prevents us from making
changes seems to be tying our hands for negligible gain.

-Ben