[openssl-project] GitHub milestone for 1.1.1

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Mon Mar 19 09:12:06 UTC 2018

On 19/03/18 08:27, Dr. Matthias St. Pierre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in view of the upcoming beta release and the release strategy (see
> below) it is a little bit disturbing that our GitHub milestone for 1.1.1
> <https://github.com/openssl/openssl/milestone/9> shows only 30%
> completion. How are we going to deal with this?

Up until now, understandably, people have been focusing on getting the
required features in. My expectation is that, once we're past the beta
release and new features are no longer allowed for 1.1.1, focus will
shift to closing off as many of the open issues/PRs as possible.

> Shouldn't the PR's and
> issues be examined and categorized into bugs and features? The former
> could still be merged during beta, but what happens to the latter? What
> is with outstanding documentation (e.g. #5461, #5629), will it be
> treated like a bugfix and be mergeable past the beta freeze?

Mostly, I think what remains are bugs and not features. If there are
features then no one cared enough about them to push them forward to get
into 1.1.1 and so we should reclassify them with a post-1.1.1 milestone.
In some exceptional cases, if someone can make a good enough case, we
might consider merging them during the beta - but that might take an omc
vote, so the case would have to be very strong.

We have always treated missing documentation as a bug so I don't see a
problem there.

Matt