API renaming

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Thu Jul 23 15:52:04 UTC 2020

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:18:10 +0200,
Dr Paul Dale wrote:
> There has been a suggestion to rename EVP_RAND to OSSL_RAND.  This seems reasonable.  Would it
> also make sense to rename the other new APIs similarly.
> More specifically, EVP_MAC and EVP_KDF to OSSL_MAC and OSSL_KDF respectively?

This is a good question...

Historically speaking, even though EVP_MAC and EVP_KDF are indeed new
APIs, they have a previous history of EVP APIs, through EVP_PKEY.  The
impact of relocating them outside of the EVP "family" may be small,
but still, history gives me pause.

RAND doesn't carry the same sort of history, which makes it much
easier for me to think "just do it and get it over with"...

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org