[openssl-users] JAR file of openssl source code.

Kyle Hamilton aerowolf at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 05:11:36 UTC 2015

OpenSSL is written in C.  It is distributed as a .tar.gz file, not a
.jar file.

jar is the format used by Java and certain Java Native Interface code,
and is based on the zip file format. It's not generally to distribute C.

tar.gz is a tar archive file (tar being the 'tape archive' program of
UNIX and Linux), which has then been compressed with GNU gzip.  It can
be opened on Windows using 7-Zip, WinRAR, or many other tools.  On
GNU/Linux, it can be unpacked with `tar -xzvf
openssl-versioncode.tar.gz`.  On other UNIXen, it can be opened
(assuming GNU gzip has been installed) with `gzip -d
openssl-versioncode.tar.gz | tar xvf -`.

The code can be downloaded from https://www.openssl.org/source/ .

-Kyle H