[openssl-users] SSL Signalling

Ajay Garg ajaygargnsit at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 05:55:47 UTC 2015

Hi Viktor.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, we need our (embedded-)clients to talk to our TLS-server.

We are using Vertx2 as our server.
Its SSL-support APIs are in "SSLSupport" class at
http://vertx.io/vertx2/api/java/index.html

Going by the APIs, it is not exactly clear what TLS-Algorithm and
Cipher-Suites are used in Vertx2 (I have put an email on the Vertx2
mailing-list with this query, will let know as soon as I have some answers).

So, in the interim, I will be grateful if you guys could let us know the
generic native SSL-signalling steps (if at all there are any steps that are
independent of the TLS-Algorithm and Cipher-Suite).

I know I sound incredibly clueless, kindly bear with me ...

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 11:08 PM, Viktor Dukhovni <
openssl-users at dukhovni.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 02:44:54PM +0530, Ajay Garg wrote:
>
> > We wish to exhange data over sockets in embedded-environments, and
> > unfortunately can't afford to use the de-facto openssl implementation,
> > which I believe uses dynamic memory allocations/deallocations in its code
> > (we intend to deploy our solution using bare-metal C, in environments
> where
> > even no RTOS are available).
>
> Why do you want to use TLS?  Is this a closed communication protocol
> only betweent these devices?  Or do you need this to interoperate
> with with other TLS clients or servers?
>
> For closed environments, there are simpler secure communications
> options than TLS, DJBs crypto box comes to mind:
>
>     http://nacl.cr.yp.to/features.html
>     http://nacl.cr.yp.to/box.html
>
> --
>         Viktor.