[openssl-users] good riddance to PayPal

Steve Marquess marquess at opensslfoundation.org
Tue May 10 16:51:25 UTC 2016

On 05/05/2016 04:41 PM, Steve Marquess wrote:
> We've had a PayPal account for years, as the most convenient way for
> individuals to send small donations. However, as the person who has
> managed that account I can attest that PayPal has always been rather
> annoying to deal with, and I've finally hit my limit. I'm in the process
> of closing that account (something PayPal makes unnecessarily difficult
> and protracted). I was able to refund most of the recent donations that
> we were unable to recover, leaving a balance of $259.45 that will either
> be forfeited to PayPal or (hopefully) refunded by them back to the
> original donors.
>
> The PayPal donate link ("button") on our web site has been removed. I've
> asked PayPal to block any future inbound transactions while we fight
> over the account closure, but can't be confident that was done. Please
> do not donate via PayPal to any account claiming to represent us; such
> donations won't go to us and may not ever be returned to you.
>
> This closure of the only convenient means of receiving small donations
> does not mean that we do not value such donations. Those of you who have
> donated via PayPal, many via recurring donations, have our gratitude and
> thanks. I regret that there is no clear alternative to switch to instead
> (suggestions welcome if there are options I'm unaware of).
>
> -Steve M.

After another half hour of "your call is important to us" recordings, I
have apparently succeeded in closing our PayPal account. I was promised
that the 29 donations totaling $258.48 that I was unable to either
withdraw or refund will be refunded directly by PayPal.

Thanks again to all the donors who have support OpenSSL, via PayPal or
other means. I'm looking into alternatives for account free online
payments, so far without success.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess