OpenSSL project is considering to close this mailing list

Tomas Mraz tomas at openssl.org
Mon Mar 20 07:04:42 UTC 2023

On Sun, 2023-03-19 at 18:06 -0400, Dennis Clarke via openssl-users
wrote:
> On 3/19/23 17:20, Tim Hudson wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 4:10 PM Dr. Matthias St. Pierre via
> > openssl-users <
> > openssl-users at openssl.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Reading through the replies it seems obvious that the response is
> > > an
> > > unanimous "No, please don't do it!!"
> > >

> > It is to be entirely expected that those who are on a mailing list
> > and feel
> > impacted if it closes are the ones that would respond - that was
> > pretty
> > much the question - asking for those who would feel impacted.
> > Right now it is sitting at about 20-30 people who have responded.
> > That is a
> > small set of feedback (given the size of the list) and the details
> > in the
> > feedback need to be looked at and responded to.
>
> This entire thread of discussion feels like some marketing people sat
> down and made the unilateral decision to just close the maillist for
> ordinary users such as myself. No amount of discussion will mean
> anything as there is no vote and no decison process that involves the
> actual people affected.  This is not a "community" process. It is
> just a
> business move.

No, the decision is not made. And the feedback from this mailing list
thread is definitely something that will affect my position when/if
there is a decision to be made. I assume other people in the working
group that proposed to ask the question to gather responses to help the
decision process will also consider the feedback given so far.

--
Tomáš Mráz, OpenSSL